Sunday, January 13, 2013

Flourish & Thrive Academy Laying the Foundation Volume 1

Hi there!  As part of my efforts to take my handmade jewelry business - Simply Mad - flying and flying high, I have been searching to learn about the business side of owning your own...well...business.  You see, the making of the jewelry is the fun part...the colors, the beads, the creating-something-from-scratch part is what makes my heart glow with joy.  Is the business-ey side of things that makes my heart go: "wa,waaa,waaaaa".  All the marketing, sales, accounting...ay, ay, ay!  And then on top of that add all the social media overwhelm-ness which you must  master if you want your business to succeed.

In my search and as a suggestion from Jessika Hepburn from Oh My! Handmade Goodness, I stumbled upon Flourish & Thrive Academy; a virtual academy dedicated to helping jewelry designers specifically take their business to greatness - how perfect is that?!?!  And now they are offering as free scholarship where one can learn all the business-ey things (wa, waaa, waaaa!) one needs to grow a small business.

To win this scholarship, I must answer three questions; here they are..

Where are you in your jewelry business now?
I would say my business as I want it to be has just been born with the new year.  I have had an Etsy shop for two years and I have seen some success, but I am nowhere near I want to be for myself and my customers.  It is time to bring it up a notch or two and put all I got into it!

What’s holding you back in your business and your life?
My biggest obstacle is myself!  I don't seem to be able to get myself organized enough to manage my time wisely and make room for all the tracking, data entry, sales, marketing and not so fun, but essential things I should be doing on an ongoing basis.   In addition to that I am awful at selling myself! It makes me feel like I am bragging or saying: "oh look at me, I am so great" - not my comfort zone.  But I do want to learn because it will not only help me advance my business but by reaching out and letting people know you is how great connections and friendships are built.

What is your vision for your business? Where do you want to go? What are your biggest dreams and desires?
I picture myself in my home studio making jewelry with a smile on my face and happy music playing in the background.  I am smiling and jamming because I know they jewelry I am making will end up making someone happy and feel better about herself.  Since my new collections will be travel-inspired I want my jewelry to take my customers in a imaginary journey to places they have visited or would like to visit. I want my jewelry to be more than just an accessory; I want it to be an entire experience!  And of course make money along the way.

There you have it! Those are the 3 answers that will win me this scholarship!!!!

If you share this blog post you will be helping me increase my chances...what do you say?

Wish me luck!  I will let you keep you posted...
Thanks!!!
Mad

2 comments: